Monday, January 23, 2017

When do ordinary life events become extraordinary?


Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.-Ferris Bueller


When I was younger, I lived in a culture that literally took time for daily "siestas" and regularly had three to four hour meals. One of the first things I noticed when I moved to the USA, is that everyone is always on the go. There is a constant demand for more activity, more time, and more stress. In this anxiety-prone culture, it's hard to take a breather and appreciate the beauty of everyday life.

car trip (1-21-2017)

As a response to McLuhan's notions of time becoming the new space as we "march backwards into the future" (p.63), I thought of a car wash (in reverse). Going through a car wash is an ordinary life event, but a car wash can become extraordinary depending on your point of view. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Lizzy,
    I think that this is really cool video. A car wash is something that we have seen a lot and have never took as a beautiful kind of majestic thing. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzy!

    I like the concept a lot. You've definitely taken a lot of McLuhan on with this piece. I like that you've taken something strangely mundane on in order to discuss the distortion of time through McLuhan's "allatonceness". The video came out in a really visually interesting way as well! I think Premiere may have a color saturation dial, and I'd love to see what the soap scene looks like with the color saturation turned way way up. You may be able to achieve some cool distortion of reality to boost this concept of a changed perspective as elevating the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzy, this is such a great way of abstracting the mundane. I'd love to see another version with more abstracted sounds to go along with the video, even if just to see how the effect of the video changes. But the concept is simple and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lizzy!
    I really love the way you shot and edited this video, it abstracts the experience of a driving through a carwash in a really interesting and beautiful way! I'm wondering if you've considered the cultural and class significance of cars and the way people care for them in America, especially in relation to your discussion of the differences of living in America and Spain?

    ReplyDelete